TITLE VI PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT
CHAPTER 1 MOBILE HOME REGULATION
6-1-1 – Definitions
6-1-2 – Location of Mobile Homes
6-1-3 – Special Permits for Location of Mobile Homes Outside Mobile
6-1-4 – Emergency and Temporary Parking
6-1-5 – Traffic Code Applicable
6-1-5 – Building Requirements
For use in this chapter the following terms are defined as follows:
- “Factory-built structure” means any structure which is, wholly or in substantial part, made, fabricated, formed, or assembled in manufacturing facilities for installation, or assembly and installation, on a building site. “Factory-built structure” includes the terms “mobile home,” “manufactured home”, and “modular home.”(Code of Iowa, Sec. 103A.3(8)
- “Manufactured home” means a factory-built structure built under authority of 42 U.S.C Section 5403, that is required by federal law to display a seal from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, and was constructed on or after June 15, 1976. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 435.1(3)
- “Mobile home” means any vehicle without motive power used or so manufactured or
constructed as to permit its being used as a conveyance upon the public streets
and highways and so designed, constructed, or reconstructed as will permit the vehicle
to be used as a place for human habitation by one or more persons; but shall also
include any such vehicle with motive power not registered as a motor vehicle in
Iowa. Mobile homes were constructed before June 15, 1976. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 435.1(5)
- “Mobile home park” means any site, lot, field or tract of land upon which three
or more mobile homes or manufactured homes, or a combination of any of these homes are placed on developed spaces and operated as a for-profit enterprise with water, sewer or septic, and electrical services available. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 435.1(4))
- “Modular home” means a factory-built structure which is manufactured to be used as a place of human habitation, is constricted to comply with the Iowa State Building Code for modular factory-built structures. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 435.1(7)
All mobile homes shall be placed or parked in a mobile home park unless permitted
otherwise by State law. This section shall not apply to mobile homes parked or placed
upon private property as part of a dealer’s or a manufacturer’s stock not used as
a place for human habitation.
The City Council, upon application of a mobile home owner, may grant a permit for
a mobile home to be located for a limited time on premises outside mobile home parks.
The City Council may issue such special permits when it appears that location within
local mobile home park is impracticable or impossible and public health, safety,
and welfare interests will not be seriously affected by granting the permit. Special
permits shall not be granted for periods in excess of one (1) year, but upon expiration
of a special permit reapplication may be made. Application for the permit shall
- A statement concerning the practicability of location within a local mobile home
- A description of sanitation facilities contained within the mobile home and those
facilities available at the proposed location.
- A statement of the desired duration of the special permit.
Emergency or temporary parking of mobile homes upon the streets, alleys, or highways,
or any other public or private place for a period not in excess of seven days shall
not constitute a violation of 6-1- 2, but such parking shall be subject to any prohibitions
or regulations contained in other Ordinances of this City.
The owner of a mobile home park may elect to have City traffic provisions of the
City Code apply to real property in the mobile home park and any person located
on the real property. The owner of a mobile home park may waive this right by filing
a waiver with the County Recorder.
All mobile homes, modular homes and factory built homes as defined in the Iowa Code located outside a mobile home park shall comply with all Ordinances relating to residences or homes in the community and shall be affixed to a permanent perimeter foundation unless it is incompatible with the structural design of the home. Amy home located outside a mobile home park on the date this ordinance takes effect shall be exempt from the permanent foundation requirement. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 435.26)